Aspen Snowmass allows uphilling at its ski areas. Learn more about specific policies regarding this activity below.
Aspen Snowmass will be requiring an Uphill Pass for on-resort uphill access during the 2023-2024 season. For details and how to purchase learn more here.
Uphilling has become synonymous with Aspen Snowmass. We continue to honor this important part of our Valley’s athletic culture while maintaining safety and flexibility for all. Our rules are put in place to minimize conflicts between uphill and downhill traffic on the slopes and maximize everyone’s safety and enjoyment. Buttermilk, Snowmass, and Aspen Highlands will still provide uphilling access during operating hours. Aspen Mountain will continue with no uphill access allowed during operating hours.
Uphillers will need to remain on designated, signed routes during all operating hours. We will not be scheduling any blackout dates for the 2023-2024 season, however we will occasionally call for temporary closures for safety reasons, business levels, and snow mitigation. This information will be posted on our website, our social media outlets, the Aspen Snowmass app, and we will have signage at the base of our areas notifying public of the closure.
During operating hours, the designated uphilling routes will be treated much like a ski trail with an open or closed sign signaling if access is available at that time. We ask that all uphillers check the Aspen Snowmass App before heading out to see if their selected route is open.
Please be aware that no ski area services, including Ski Patrol, are available during hours that the ski areas are not open for business. Please call 911 in the event of an emergency during non-operational hours. You are responsible for your own safety at all times while on Aspen Skiing Company property.
Daily Resort Operations hours are from 8am-4:45pm. Uphilling is permitted from 5am until 10:30pm, except on Aspen Mountain where uphilling is not permitting during operation hours. There may be temporary closures due to safety, business levels or snow mitigation.
Uphillers must remain visible at all times. Uphillers must stay on the side of the trail and single file. We strongly suggest using lights and reflective clothing for nighttime ascents or early morning ascents.
Uphillers must have their strap with current year sticker and uphill pass visible at all times.
Uphillers must be aware that the slopes are being worked on by employees 24 hours a day, and to be on guard for snowmobiles, snow cats, and other vehicular traffic operated by Aspen Snowmass.
Uphillers must use designated uphill tracks stated on our four mountains. Designated trails are marked by orange signs, and in some cases, marked with rope to designate a lane.
Uphillers must be aware of downhill traffic and avoid blind spots.
Uphillers must stay away from all snowmaking equipment and may not cross snowmaking lines at any time.
All uphillers must have a valid lift ticket or pass to ride up any lifts. Audits may occur.
Uphill traffic may be restricted due to pre-season preparation, avalanche mitigation efforts, or ski area construction and maintenance activities.
Uphill traffic may be restricted or closed due to safety reasons, business levels, or snow mitigation.
As with downhill traffic, uphill traffic must obey all on-mountain signage, including closed runs and rope lines.
Carrying children or babies in backpacks or carriers is not permitted on any mountain at Aspen Snowmass.
Some trails may be closed to uphill traffic during pre/post season while snowmaking and grooming operations are in effect. Please respect these closures at all times.
For Uphillers wishing to download off the mountain, the following lifts are available for download:
Snowmass: Elk Camp Gondola and Two Creeks Lift
Buttermilk: Summit Express
Aspen Mountain: Silver Queen Gondola
Aspen Highlands: Exhibition Lift
Snowmass Uphill Policies
Please be aware that snowmaking and machines will be on the hill at all times.
- Uphilling at Snowmass will be allowed during operation hours of 8am-4:45pm on the designated routes marked from Base Village and the base of Two Creeks.
- If you choose to be out on the hill when it is dark, please remember to use a light and wear bright clothing so that our operators can see you.
- Please have dogs on leash or under strict voice command, and always clean up after your pet. Once we open for operations, dogs are not allowed on any of our hills after 7:45am or before 4:45pm. Aspen Mountain does not allow dogs at any time during the operating season.
Snowmass Designated Routes
Two Creeks: Cascade to top of Funnel around Causeway (bottom of Elk Camp chair lift) to Elk Camp restaurant.
High Alpine Restaurant: Fanny Hill to Lower Green Cabin to Coffee Pot to HA Restaurant.
Sam's Knob: Fanny Hill to TOV headwall/Dawdler to Lower Velvet Falls to Upper Velvet Falls to mid-station of Village Express to Coney Glade Trail to Banzai Ridge to top of Knob. Continue up the right side of Sneaky’s to top of the Burn.
Elk Camp: Base Village to Funnel up to Elk Camp Restaurant. Continue up left side of Bull Run to the top of Elk Camp Chair.
Campground: Base of Slot up to the mid-station of Village Express, join up with the main Sam's Knob route.
Aspen Mountain Uphill Policies
- Uphilling at Aspen Mountain is not allowed between 9am and 4:45pm.
- Dogs are not allowed on Aspen Mountain at any time during or after operational hours while skiing and riding is offered.
- If you wish, you may download using the Silver Queen Gondola at no charge.
Aspen Mountain Designated Route
- Uphill: America’s Uphill course, which starts up the Little Nell run to Bingo Slot, Spar Gulch, left into Deer Park and onto Silver Bell.
- Downhill: At Aspen Mountain, we require uphillers to use the designated downhill route (Copper, Copper Bowl, and Little Nell).
Aspen Highlands Uphill Policies
Thunderbowl is closed to uphilling 24 hours a day until at least the mountain opens. Aspen Valley Ski Club is training during the day and snow cats, including winch cats, will be working there every night.
- Uphilling at Highlands will be allowed during operation hours of 8am-4:45pm on the designated route marked from the base.
- Dogs are prohibited between operational hours of 7:45am-4:45pm at Aspen Highlands during the ski season. Before and after operational hours, your dog will need to be under voice control or on a leash so as not to bother other guests or wildlife. Please pick up any pet waste and pack it out with you.
Aspen Highlands Designated route
- Jerome Bowl to Park Avenue to Memory Lane all the way to the Merry-Go-Round Restaurant (MGR). If you arrive at MGR prior to 8:30am, you may continue up the route to the top of Loge. Uphilling access is not allowed beyond MGR after 8:30am.
Buttermilk Uphill Policies
- Uphilling at Buttermilk will be allowed during operation hours of 8am-4:45pm on Main Buttermilk, Tiehack and West up designated routes only.
- Dogs are prohibited between operational hours of 7:45am-4:45pm at Buttermilk during the ski season. Before and after operational hours, your dog will need to be under voice control or on a leash so as not to bother other guests or wildlife. Please pick up any pet waste and pack it out with you
Buttermilk Designated Routes
- Main Buttermilk: Follows the orange disks up Columbine from the base, snakes back in the woods and then crosses Midway Avenue to Ridge Trail to the top.
- Tiehack: Up Eagle Hill to Ptarmigan. Stay hikers right up Ptarmigan until you intersect with the top of Buckskin. Cross trail into the marked woods trail to Savio. Stay hikers left on Savio to the top.
- West: Up Teaser to the Bridge, under the bridge and up to Ridge Trail to the top