JOIN YOUR CO-WORKERS FOR THESE ASPEN SKIING COMPANY ORGANIZED VOLUNTEER DAYS
- Aspen Skiing Company – Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteer Trail Projects: Wednesday, May 31 and Tuesday, September 12 from 9 AM to 4 PM. Sign up for one or both days. Build/maintain a trail with in the mid/upper valley. These projects include a hike to the project site. Additional details will be provided closer to the project dates.
- Aspen Skiing Company – Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteer Hunter Creek Valley Weed Pull: Thursday, August 10 from 9 AM to 4 PM – look for more detailscloser to the project date. If you’ve ridden or hiked through the Hunter Creek Valley in late summer you’ll see a proliferation of thistle and other noxious weeds. We will head out with Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteers to eradicate some weeds before they go to seed.
- Independence Pass Highway Cleanup: Wednesday, October 4 - Plan on being available from 9 AM to 130 PM (noon if only participating in actual cleanup and not joining for lunch). Each year a group of ASC employees heads out to clean up a 4-mile stretch of Independence Pass. After we finish our cleanup work we’ll have pizza. Sign up ASAP as space is limited and this project is always popular. Details of meeting locations and a van pool for those who are interested will be sent out at a later date.
Register for any of these projects in advance by contacting Matthew Hamilton
.OTHER COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
ROARING FORK OUTDOOR VOLUNTEERS
- On Saturday, May 6 join Roaring Fork Conservancy and Roaring Fork Outdoor Volunteers for the Carbondale Boat Ramp Workday to improve the heavily used boat ramp on the Roaring Fork River in Carbondale. Plans for the day include creating carry-in access for SUP, kayaks, tubes, etc., a new public river overlook, and trimming back vegetation on the paths, roadways, and parking areas. Register in advance.
- Join Pitkin County Open Space and Trails on Thursday, May 11 from 10:00 – 3:00 and needs volunteers. Wear appropriate clothing and bring gloves, food, and water as no lunch will be provided. Gold Butte is on McClain Flats road just opposite the Sunnyside Trail. Volunteers should meet at the upper lot. Only 6 spots available. Contact Ted O'Brien, Pitkin County Open Space & Trails Resource & Trails Manager to register.
- The Sky Hotel is coming down but much of what adorns the walls, sits in the rooms and furnishes the spaces is going to Habitat for Humanity of the Roaring Fork Valley. From May 15 to 22, 10 AM - 4 PM daily, Habitat needs your help to move these items to trucks for resale at their Restore. This work requires heavy lifting. Contact Amy French, Volunteer Coordinator & Family Services Director at(970) 948-7207 to volunteer.
- 36th Annual Town of Snowmass Village Cleanup – Friday, June 2 at 9 AM: Meet at the bus depot on Daly Lane below the Snowmass Mall. No need to sign up for this one but bring gloves. Lunch at Town Center at the Bayou at noon. More info.
Summer 2017 projects – dates and project locations below. Learn more
ASPEN SCIENCE CENTER
- Saturday, May 6 | 8:30-5 pm: Carbondale River Put-Ins | Carbondale | Family-Friendly
- Saturday, May 20 | 8:30-5 pm: Blue Ribbon Trail Reroute | Carbondale
- Tuesday Evenings, June 6 & June 13 | 4 pm-dusk (Show up any time after 4): Skyline Ridge Trail | Sky Mountain Park, Aspen/Snowmass Village
- Saturday, July 8 | 8:30-5 pm: Prockter Open Space Wetland | Aspen | Family-Friendly
- Saturday, July 15 | 8:30-5 pm: Hunter Creek Valley Weed Pull | Aspen | Family-Friendly
- Tuesday Evenings, July 25-August 15 | 4pm-dusk (Show up any time after 4): The Crown Evening Projects | Near Carbondale
- Long Weekend, August 18-20 | Sign up for one or more days: Capitol Lake Trail | South of Basalt | Backpack camping optional
- Saturday & Sunday, September 9-10 | 8:30-5 pm: Hanging Lake/Spouting Rock Trail | Glenwood Springs
- Saturday, September 30 | 8:30-5 pm: North of Colorow Trail | New Castle
- Saturday, October 14 | 8:30-5 pm: Colorado River Trail | Rifle
Aspen Science Center is looking for volunteers who have an interest in having fun with science and sharing that passion with others – kids and adults! We are currently planning for a variety of public events during the spring and summer and we need your help! Please take a look at the events listed here and choose one (or more!) that you would like to help with.
- Science Sundays: April 30 and May 7 from 10 am to 4 pm at Jimmy’s Restaurant. ASC will be transforming Jimmy’s Restaurant into a science exploration zone with hands-on activities and demonstrations. Volunteer needs: set-up, tear-down, staffing the activities, food service.
- Physics Barbecues: June 28, July 5, 12, 19, 26, August 2, 9 from 5 to 7 pm at Aspen Center for Physics (note: July 26 will be at Colorado Rocky Mountain School in Carbondale). These free family BBQs offer a delicious picnic-style dinner along with science activities, demonstrations and games, and a brief lecture by visiting scientists. Volunteer needs: set-up, tear-down, staffing the activities, food service.
- Science Street Fair: Sunday, August 6 from 10 am to 4 pm at Paepcke Park. It will be an all-day, non-stop program of science-themed interactive exhibits, experiments, games and performances designed to entertain and inspire. Volunteer needs: set-up, tear-down, staffing the activities during the Fair.
- Solar Eclipse Day: Monday, August 21 from 9:30 am to 1 pm, location TBD. The public will gather with us to observe and celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime event! There will be interactive displays and activities. Related to the eclipse and general astronomy topics. Volunteer needs: set-up, tear-down, staffing the activities.
Who would make a good volunteer? Anyone with a few hours of free time and enthusiasm for science! Volunteers do not need a science background, but should have an interest in learning (we will train you!) and conveying knowledge to event attendees of all ages. Above all, we need people who want to engage the public with fun science and who believe in the Aspen Science Center mission of advancing the public understanding of science through lifelong discovery, exploration, and education. Seniors, young professionals, college and high school students, and parents can all help! Pair up with a friend or meet new science enthusiasts while supporting Aspen Science Center.
For more information or to volunteer, please contact us at 970-236-2360 or firstname.lastname@example.org