Aspen and Snowmass Village are located in the picturesque Roaring Fork Valley in west-central Colorado. Driving here from major airport hubs and metropolitan areas is simple in both summer and winter.
- With the opening of Highway 82 over Independence Pass each summer, options for reaching Aspen Snowmass increase. From Denver, you can travel on I-70 for 77 miles to exit 195 and then proceed south on Highway 91 to Leadville. From there, head south on Highway 24 to Highway 82 and drive over the pass to Aspen, for a total driving distance of 159 miles.
- You can also reach Aspen Snowmass via I-70 and Highway 82 through Glenwood Springs, or from Highway 285 and Highways 24 and 82.
- To reach Aspen Snowmass, exit Interstate 70 at Glenwood Springs and head 41 miles south and east to Aspen on Highway 82. (Glenwood Springs is 157 miles west of Denver).
- In winter, Highway 82 over Independence Pass east of Aspen is closed, generally from late October through May depending on the first snowfall and snow removal operations, respectively.
- Below is a summary of distances from Colorado’s airports to downtown Aspen:
- From Aspen/Pitkin County Airport: 3 miles east on Highway 82.
- From Denver International Airport (DEN): 220 miles west via I-70 and Colorado 82.
- From Eagle County Airport (EGE): 70 miles west via I-70 and Colorado 82.
- From Grand Junction Regional Airport (GJT): 125 miles east via I-70 and Colorado 82.
Rental Cars & Private Shuttles
Avis Car Rental233 E. Airport Road, Suite G
Aspen, CO 81611
Book your rental car through Avis Car Rental in Aspen or at Denver International Airport through the link below. Offering a wide range of vehicles.
Budget Car Rental233 E. Aspen Rd., Suite G
Aspen, CO 81611
Book your car through the link below for either Aspen or Denver pickup and enjoy cruising around the valley in your choice of car.
Roaring Fork Express
Reliable ground transportation to and from Aspen
Skip the rental car and highway winter driving with Roaring Fork Express. Enjoy daily scheduled shuttle routes and or schedule on-demand charters between Aspen and Snowmass and Denver International Airport or Eagle County Airport. CO West Transportation has been serving mountain towns across the west since 1985.
Book shuttle services at www.roaringforkexpress.com, or call 970-486-3002 or 800-822-4844.
Road Travel FAQs
In winter, the best route is via I-70 and Highway 82 (a distance of 191 miles from Denver) because of the annual winter highway closure of Independence Pass. The drive from Denver takes in many scenic highlights of the Rocky Mountains, including the stunning Glenwood Canyon just east of Glenwood Springs.
In summer, Highway 82 over Independence Pass reopens, offering the most direct and quickest route from Denver. (It is also jaw-droppingly beautiful).
How can I stay up-to-date on road conditions?
The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) maintains a helpful road-conditions website with numerous webcams and constantly updated information on conditions as well as construction updates. Search for Colorado Highway 82, which leads to Aspen from Glenwood Springs and, in summer, continues over Independence Pass to Highway 24 at Twin Lakes.