Tenants For Turns
In response to the continuing housing crisis in the Roaring Fork Valley, Aspen Skiing Company is re-launching its successful Tenants for Turns program for the 2023-2024 winter season. The program offers incentives to homeowners willing to rent a unit, a guest house, an ADU, a mother-in-law unit or even an extra bedroom to an Aspen Snowmass employee. The Tenants for Turns program is valid for new leases that take effect after October 1, 2023, and run through the ski season.
Homeowners and landlords who lease a room to an Aspen Skiing Company employee for the ski season can choose from a variety of incentives including a Premier Pass, 10 single-day lift tickets, or a $1,500 gift certificate. Returning landlords also receive an added incentive.
All interested landlords must submit an application prior to making any agreements with tenants. All units will be posted on the ASC employee portal without exception. Interested landlords should carefully read the information below before applying via the Google Form. In addition to the form, they will also need to fill out a W9, a liability waiver, and provide a copy of their rental agreement with an eligible ASC employee.
Employees interested in viewing the available rentals can see the list here.
We welcome you to reach out with questions or concerns regarding this program to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you for your interest in ASC and for your support of our employees!
Read on for information about how to apply to be a landlord.
Eligible parties include:
- Returning Homeowners and Landlords who have participated in Tenants for Turns 2021-2022 & 2022-2023 winter seasons.
- New Homeowners and Landlords who have not yet participated in Tenants for Turns.
- Leases must be issued to an active ASC employee.
- In order to be eligible for the Tenants for Turns programs, lease terms must begin October 1, 2023 and run for a duration of at least 16 weeks. Longer-term leases do qualify, but will not receive additional incentives.
Qualified first-time landlords and homeowners who meet the conditions outlined below and rent to an eligible ASC employee will be able to choose from one of the following incentives:
- Lift Ticket Vouchers: 10 all-mountain lift ticket vouchers.
- Premier Season Pass: One 2023-2024 Aspen Snowmass Premier Season Pass. This pass includes unlimited 2023-2024 winter and summer access and a complimentary Uphill Pass. A complimentary Ikon Pass and other benefits are not included with this pass.
- Gift Certificate: A $1,500 gift certificate, good at any Aspen Snowmass business. This could include meals or rooms at Aspen and Snowmass Limelight Hotels and The Little Nell, ski gear or rentals at Four Mountain Sports, ski and snowboard lessons, or any of Aspen Snowmass’ on-mountain dining options.
Returning landlords who meet the conditions outlined below and rent to an eligible ASC employee will additionally receive the following:
- If you choose the premier pass, you will additionally receive two 1-day lift tickets.
- If you choose the 10 lift ticket vouchers option, you will receive two additional 1-day lift tickets.
- There is no additional benefit associated with the gift certificate option.
Please review the following instructions for receiving your selected incentive:
Gift Card: Once your application has been fully processed and the ASC Talent Acquisition team has received a signed lease agreement, you may pick up your physical gift card by visiting the Human Resources Office at Aspen Highlands (199 Prospector Rd, Aspen, CO 81611) between 8:30 am-4:30 pm Monday through Friday. Gift Cards will be available for pickup beginning Monday, October 30th.
All cards must be signed for. If you intend to have another friend or family member pick up your gift card for you, you must notify Talent Acquisition in advance by email, letting us know the name of the person picking up the gift card. All gift cards will be physical cards and should be treated the same as cash. Please note that we will be unable to replace any lost cards. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Premier Pass: Once your application has been fully processed and the ASC Talent Acquisition team has received a signed lease agreement, you will receive a unique voucher number, sent via email to your email address on file. To activate your voucher, please call 855-238-3511 or visit a ticket office to activate your Premier Pass. If you are transferring your Premier Pass to another individual or family member, please share the voucher number with them and they may call 855-238-3511 to activate.
Lift Tickets: Once your application has been fully processed and the ASC Talent Acquisition team has received a signed lease agreement, you will receive a unique voucher number, sent via email to your email address on file. To activate your voucher, please call 855-238-3511 or visit a ticket office to activate your lift tickets. Once activated, your voucher numbers can be found in your Aspen Snowmass app to share with family and friends (or use yourself).
*Incentives will become available at the end of October 2023.
*Please note that once an incentive has been selected and received, either as an emailed voucher or a physical gift card, your selected incentive may not be changed.
Please note: Reselling any incentive such as the gift card is highly discouraged and may result in ineligibility for future participation in the Tenants for Turns program.
How to Apply
Please read the following program guidelines carefully before applying:
A landlord must apply for this program prior to filling vacancies. Agreements made with tenants prior to signing up with the program are not eligible for incentive(s). See Terms & Conditions for details.
Lease terms will be up to the lessor and employee but will need to contain certain basic parameters to trigger the incentive package upon verification of the lease by Aspen Skiing Company.
- The duration of the rental term must be for at least 16 weeks taking effect after October 1 and include the 2023-2024 ski season. Longer-term leases are also welcome for year-round staff. The exact duration of a lease should be mutually agreed upon by a tenant and landlord/homeowner.
To qualify for the program and its incentives, the homeowner or landlord must submit the following:
- A Tenants for Turns landlord application available via this link. If you are a landlord renting multiple units, please complete one form per unit to ensure accuracy with our postings.
- Please upload photos of the unit being rented where specified in the application.
- Please upload a completed W9 form into your application. If you were a previous participant in the program and we have a W9 on-file, you do not need to resubmit this form. Filling out a W9 form is necessary because you will be receiving a 1099NEC tax form in late January from Aspen Skiing Company in the amount of $1,500, which is the value of each chosen incentive. Please note that, unlike the 2022-2023 season, Aspen Skiing Company will NOT be sending landlords any additional funds to cover taxes and all tax payments will be the responsibility of the landlord.
- Please upload a completed Liability Waiver Form with your application.
- A completed and signed rental agreement with an eligible ASC employee to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HR must confirm that the employee renter is eligible for the program. Please email email@example.com with the name of your potential tenant to confirm that they qualify. After confirming your tenant is eligible, please submit a signed copy of the rental agreement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you rent to an individual who has not been approved by Human Resources you are not eligible to receive the incentive(s).
- If your available rental has been filled by someone who is not an eligible ASC employee, please contact email@example.com to have your rental removed from our list.
Once the application is approved, you will be notified, and your rental information and photos will be added to a list exclusively available to ASC employees who have committed to working at ASC.
Employees will contact you directly if they are interested in your rental. The landlord/homeowner is responsible for the screening and lease signing process.
- Please note: our employees are moving to the area from all across the nation -- you may not be able to meet face-to-face with tenants before their desired move in date. Skype, Facetime, or any other methods to discuss the rental situation can go a long way in finding the right tenant.
- The homeowner retains full control over the lease terms, the rent to be charged, and other details of the rent agreement as long as it meets the dates specified above for participation in this program.
If all the above requirements of the program have been met (i.e. you have applied and have been approved as a Tenants for Turns landlord, your tenant is an eligible ASC employee and contacted you via the program listing, and you have submitted the appropriate documentation and a copy of the lease agreement), you will qualify for the Tenants for Turns program. Your chosen incentive will be provided to you at the start of the 2023-24 season or within a week of being accepted into the program after the season has begun. Incentives may take up to one week to process. More information on this process to come.
Due to the level of demand for the Tenants for Turns program this winter season, the deadline for all new landlord applications is December 1, 2023.
Terms and Conditions
Incentive benefits are offered based on meeting the following terms and conditions:
- Homeowners and landlords are eligible to receive incentive benefits for each room rented up to a maximum of three rooms. A studio unit counts as one room.
- Homeowners and landlords renting multiple units may receive a maximum of one of each incentive benefit.
- Incentive benefits are offered for winter rentals only. Additive benefits will not be awarded for rooms rented year-round nor will incentive benefits be awarded for summer rentals. The Premier Pass may be used in Summer 2024 for sightseeing access only.
- Employee homeowners or landlords are eligible to receive incentive benefits for rooms rented to fellow employees. Employees may elect to receive a premier pass for a family member or select one of the other available incentive benefits.
- Ineligible parties: Family members living with you are not considered renters and are not eligible for this program. Tenants with whom your agreement was made prior to Oct. 1 are not eligible. This program is geared toward providing new housing for new seasonal employees. Renters may not sublease space to ASC employees. This program is only open to homeowners and landlords.
- ASC does not evaluate, and therefore cannot make any representations or warranties regarding an employee’s fitness for any tenancy. While we attempt to hire only the highest quality and responsible individuals to work at ASC, we cannot make any guarantees that the individual you agree to house will be what you consider a good tenant. ASC does run background checks for certain positions at the resort. Please inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If a lease is terminated without reasonable cause, the incentive package will be revoked. If a tenant proves unsuitable due to their behavior or a failure to pay their rent, the landlord may terminate the lease without losing the incentive package. Questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Q: How much should I charge for my rental?
A: ASC does not have guidelines or requirements regarding the cost of rental and lease agreements for the Tenants for Turns program. These rewards are intended to be a generous incentive to rent to employees for a lower monthly rate than the general public. While ASC works hard to pay its employees well, first year front line employees often having a starting wage of $21/hour, and their hours are dependent on business levels. We recommend rentals be within the range of $500 and $900 per month per individual per bedroom or lower, plus utilities, but each situation is unique and many factors such as a furnished rental could raise or lower that price. It is very important that you collect a damage deposit before allowing any tenant to reserve the rental. Keep in mind most employees starting their winter season are without significant reserves of cash to spend on a deposit. You must balance the inherent risks of renting your property with determining an appropriate rental and deposit amount for seasonal employees.
Q: Will ASC help collect rent from employees?
A: The Tenants for Turns program acts only as a facilitator that connects available rentals with employees looking to rent. All rental/lease agreements are between the landlord/owner and the tenant. Please read the general liability release form.
Q: What if I have rented to ASC employees in previous years, not through the Tenants for Turns program, and plan on renting to them again?
A: Thank you for housing ASC employees! The spirit of the program is to make a list of rentals available to our employees currently searching for housing. A landlord must apply for the program prior to filling vacancies and the lease date must not be prior to Oct. 1
Q: I have an extra room in the apartment that I am leasing. Am I able to participate as a landlord?
A: Sublessors are not qualified to participate in T4T, only homeowners or landlords.
Q: Are there any geographical boundaries my rental must fall in to qualify?
A: We do not have limitations on how far away a rental can be. If your rental is further than a 45-minute drive, you may find that employees are not interested in commuting that far.
Q: What if my tenant doesn’t work out?
A: If a tenant proves unsuitable due to their behavior or a failure to pay their rent, the landlord may terminate the lease without losing the incentive package. If the landlord chooses to terminate the agreement for their own reasons not related to the tenant, the incentive package will be revoked.
Q: Who gets to select a landlord’s tenant?
A: Landlords have sole discretion in who they choose to rent their unit to.
Q: Why do I need to complete a W9?
A: You need to fill out a W9 because you will be receiving a 1099NEC tax form in late January from Aspen Skiing Company in the amount of $1,500, which is the value of each chosen incentive. Please note that, unlike the 2022-2023 season, Aspen Skiing Company will NOT be sending landlords any additional funds to cover taxes and all tax payments will be the responsibility of the landlord.
Q: I already have a Premier Pass. May I allocate my Tenants for Turns Premier Pass incentive to a family member?
A: If you are already a premier passholder, you may allocate your Premier Pass to a family member. Once the Premier Pass is allocated, only the passholder can use it. Aspen Snowmass season passes are nonrefundable and nontransferable.
Q: Do you post every landlord listing that comes in to Tenants for Turns or are the beds passed out behind the scenes?
A: If a landlord signs up with the Tenant for Turns program, it will be listed on the Employee Portal for all employees to see. There is no withholding of beds.
Q: I have questions about this program and I’m an employee. Who should I contact?
A: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: I have questions about this program and I’m a potential or returning homeowner/landlord. Who should I contact?
A: Please email email@example.com
Q: I’m an employee. How do I find these rental listings?
A: Please visit the Employee Portal page here.